Constructor: Kulturveranstalter des Bundes in Berlin KBB
Architects: Hugh Stubbins
Location: Berlin, D
Adress: John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10,
Completion: 1957 / 2007
Photos: Werner Huthmacher, Berlin
In 1957, the Berlin Conference Hall was built as the contribution from the USA to the Interbau international construction exhibition. The American architect Hugh Stubbins designed a striking building with an unusual curved roof: Stubbins planned a suspended roof stretched between two reinforced-concrete arches which was to rise above the 90 by 90 metre single-floored building and be attached to the ground at only two base points. By order of the German authorities, however, it was built with a complicated auxiliary construction. Not without consequences: in 1980, the roof collapsed and one person died and several were hurt. After the rebuilding, when Stubbins’s basic idea was realised, the building was given a new use and a new name: the House of World Cultures – renovated and converted by the architectural office GAP Gesellschaft für Architektur und Projektmanagement in 2007 – today serves as a centre for international, contemporary art.